Sunday, August 12, 2012

Rustic Diamond Ring - A Creation Story




from sketch to reality

The Story behind the Rustic Diamond Ring:

I was asked to create an engagement ring for a client in Colorado - 

The request:
" I would like a rustic low profile diamond ring with a hammered finish with highly polished finish. She does NOT want to large stone that sticks up high as we are very active outdoors people. unique is best, but it still needs to have "bling." Steve S.

Being that my client was in Colorado and I am in New York, we exchanged and talked about lots of photos from my website as well as a few pre-made setting I had available from a casting house I work with in New York City. While creating a new ring is an amazing experience, I am a huge fan of not recreating the wheel -  especially when there is a tight budget, so I always suggest a few ready-made settings. 
Original Stock Setting from Adwar Castings

One of my casting houses, Adwar Castings, had a setting with four main stones and the upper band was full of diamonds. My client liked the setting but wanted something more rustic and less "blingy" to give to his girlfriend for when he proposes, so we redesigned the setting and recast it with less diamonds and when finished, hand hammered the bands. 

The Process from start to finish:

Using a sketching technique, I modified the pre-cast setting and from the sketch had a raw cast of the ring created. Once Steve approved the photo I had a raw cast made to our specifications and then picked the diamonds...

Sketch of Proposed New Ring
Raw Cast of ring based on sketch
Raw Cast with New Diamonds



Finished Ring with modifications for Client
by The Perfect Setting



Finished Ring on Hand
www.theperfectsetting.com

4 comments:

  1. The perfect finished ring looks so beautiful. When I saw the Raw cast then I was getting surprised that why It looking like this. But, Finally I like the design it self.




    engagement rings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your comment - just got the notification :) glad you like the ring - best, Amy

      Delete
  2. It's really so gorgeous and It's shape also so wonderful.
    I have never imagined this type of Diamond Rings can be exist i.e All diamond ring.
    Its good to see this type of post!!

    ReplyDelete