Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Swollen Knuckles, Arthritic Fingers and Beautiful Rings? Enter the Adjustable Shank

Have you ever gone to wear your favorite ring only to find it no longer fits over your knuckle? Or you jam your ring on and it constantly turns? You are not alone and I have a started using a mechanism in my custom designs known as an adjustable or expandable shank,  that my clients are LOVING!

There are many types of adjustable shanks, and I will discuss the options available, but below are photos of my preferred mechanism as I feel it provides the maximum flexibly with the most safety.
Custom Adjustable Shank for Arthritic Fingers

So why did I choose this for my custom designs? There are several adjustable and expandable shanks on the market - but I am a safety freak and the thought of a ring opening and falling off - well I couldn't sleep at night. So something that securely closes seems to be the safest and most reliable.

How it works:

The mechanism is comfortable and easy to use, and in addition to being a must have for swollen
knuckles and arthritis, most of us have one hand larger than the other, or simply want the flexibility of wearing the same ring on more than one finger.

The opening of the shank makes the ring wearable on both hands simply by opening the latch and extending the ring easily over your finger.
Custom made ring with expandable shank

Simply put "it opens 3 sizes to pass over the knuckle, then closes to fit the smaller part of the finger where the ring is worn."

Cost. This is a consideration as the shank does add to the cost of a setting.







My clients that have decided to have an expandable ring are LOVING IT!

"My husband and I are thrilled with my newly remade engagement ring. Sadly my ring in its original setting was way too small to fit over my knuckles , however, my finger was still about the same size. Amy suggested the adjustable band to allow me to wear it on both fingers and create a sleek, comfortable fit. We had never heard of this option and it worked out beautifully.  The end result is beyond gorgeous.  The fit is perfect and will never have to be remade!"                                                                             
- Mary & Todd K., Laurel Hollow, NY


Got a new adjustable ring base I love, makes it so easy to get on & off over my knuckles, brilliant innovation!! and my 34 year old engagement ring looks better than the day I got it !! LOVE It !!
- Pamela M., Long Island, NY

As I mentioned, there are other adjustable shanks on the market. I think this photo collage illustrates why I prefer something that completely closes over another popular brand that opens.

Comparison of different adjustable shanks 




Seriously, I would never wear a ring that just "opens" so I could never recommend such a mechanism to my clients.

Click here to go to my website and learn more!


2 comments:

  1. I have a channel set anniversary ring with 10 diamonds set in two rows I have arthritis and can no longer get the ring on. A jeweler said the ring cannot be made bigger without disturbing the channel set diamonds. Is there any other options with the finger fit adjustment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Martha - so sorry for the delay! I never received a notification regarding your question. If you are still looking - please send me a photo of your current ring and I can take a look and let you know what, if anything can be done. amy@theperfectsetting.com thanks!

      Delete